Weekly Fitness Challenge For Seniors2nd September 2020
This weeks challenge is called Get Ups. A get up is an exercise that is exactly what it sounds like. For this challenge we would like you to get up and down off the floor 5 or 10 times per day. They dont have to be completed all at once, but you should try.
Performing this exercise is vital for anyone over the age of 65. The ability to lower and raise yourself up from the floor unassisted could be the difference in living or dying. Below I have outlined how to do it while using your hand to assist you. If you can do it without using any hands then go ahead.
Take a look at the video on how to do a get up. Two versions.
Lying Prone version
- Start lying down in the prone position (lying face down on the floor).
- Bring your hands up next to your shoulders as if you were going to do a push up.
- Tighten your core and lift your upper body off the floor getting into a hands and knees position.
- Once you are on your hands and knees you will nee to swing one leg forward and place it to the outside of the same side hand. Usually you will use your stronger leg to do this.
- Stabilize yourself with both hand and the front leg and place your same side hand as the forward leg on your thigh just above your knee.
- Use your front leg and with the assistance of your hand on your thigh raise up to a lunge position.
- Bring your back leg forward to a traditional standing position.
- Lower yourself back down to the floor in a similar fashion.
- Repeat using the other leg forward if possible.
- If necessary, set yourself up near a sturdy chair or a couch so you can use it for additional leverage as needed.
Kneeling Starting Position
- If you have knee problems make sure you are on a soft surface such as a mat or some pillows.
- Lower yourself down onto your hands and knees.
- Follow all the instructions above.